I think the name says it all. This is my my sister, Julie’s, holiday potato recipe. One bite of it is not enough and once you read the ingredients you will agree that it is death by potatoes. It is amazing how creamy this dish ends up being -one would never realize there are frozen hashbrowns in it. Of course, Julie brings it to all the family events but being the size 2 that she is, doesn’t partake of her masterpiece herself. Unfortunately, I do. Suffice to say, I am not a size 2. Oh, well, I’d rather eat death by potatoes.
Death by Potatoes
from the kitchen of Julie Smith
- 2 pkg. frozen hashbrowns, the cubed kind
- 2 cubes (1 cup) butter, softened
- 4 pkg. (8 oz. each) cream cheese
- 16 oz. sour cream
- 4 big cloves garlic, minced
- several big splashes worcestershire sauce
- salt and pepper to taste
- enough shredded cheddar cheese to very thickly coat the top
- Boil the hashbrowns until softened but not too soft. Drain.
- Mix hashbrowns with butter, cream cheese, sour cream, garlic, salt and pepper, and worcestershire sauce.
- Put in a buttered casserole and top with cheese. Tent some foil over the top. Bake at 350 degrees for approximately 60 minutes or until potatoes are bubbly hot.