I made this pie the other day to welcome the Lieutenant home from Quantico. I’m on a diet and I thought I could be strong and withstand the sugar siren’s song of the sweet smell of pears baking with a scent of almond extract in the air. I was wrong – one bite of this pie put me over the edge and one bite turned into thirty-one. Oh well, what can I say? it was worth it.
Amazing Pear Crumb Pie
- 7-8 large pears, firm, barely ripe, peeled, cored and cut into chunks
- 1 cup/ 1 cup sugar
- 1 T. lemon juice
- 1/4 cup flour or (2 T. flour, 1 T. tapioca, 1 T. cornstarch)
- 1-2 t. almond extract
- 1 cup flour for crumb topping
- 8 T. cold butter, cut into small pieces
- 1 recipe of pie crust
- Line a pie pan with rolled out pie crust, fluting the edge.
- Mix together pears, lemon juice,1 cup sugar, almond extract and 1/4 cup flour.
- Place pear mixture in pie shell and bake at 400 degrees for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, make crumb topping by mixing together 1 cup flour and 1 cup sugar and cutting in the butter until the mixture is crumbly.
- After the 30 minutes is up, remove pie from oven, reduce the heat to 375, and spread the crumb topping over the pears and bake for another 25-30 minutes. The top should be golden and the fruit bubbly. You may need to cover the crust with foil for this phase to avoid it overbrowning.
- Cool for at least 2 hours before serving.