On our Oxford, Mississippi day trip we stopped at the Bottle Tree Bakery, specifically because it was the home of Oprah’s favorite apple pie. The apple pie was no where to be found, but great sandwiches and other delicious pastries were bountiful. My sandwich was accompanied by a french style potato salad, which I found very delicious. This is surprising to me because I am not a big mustard fan and this potato salad is very mustardy, but also full of capers, which I adore. I have tried to recreate it as best I can and I think it tastes pretty good…let me know what you think.
French Style Roasted Potato Salad
- 8 large Yukon Gold Potatoes,scrubbed and diced into about 1/2 inch cubes, with the peel on
- enough olive oil to coat the diced potatoes
- salt/pepper to taste
- 3/8 cup olive oil
- 4 1/2 T. white wine vinegar
- 3 T. whole grain dijon mustard
- 3 T. capers
- 1/4 cup chervil, coarsely chopped (optional for garnish)
- Toss the diced potatoes with enough olive oil to coat and season with salt and pepper. Place on a large rimmed baking sheet and roast at 500 degrees for approximately 30 minutes. The time could be more or could be less. Check every 7-10 minutes and turn over potatoes. Remove when potatoes are golden brown.
- While potatoes are roasting, whisk together vinegar, mustard and 3/8 cup olive oil and then add the capers.
- Add dressing to slightly cooled potatoes. If you need more dressing, make some more, but hopefully you have enough. Season with salt and pepper as needed. Let sit at least 15 minutes at room temperature before serving. Garnish with chervil if desired.
- I hope you like this as much as I did.