We just got back from a week at Whidbey Island. My friend from junior high/ high school days, Diane, usually joins us every year, coming from Wenatchee with 2 or 3 or 4 of her kids. This year we were blessed with two of them. Diane is the queen of “PLAIN” cooking and you better not mess with her and try anything with goat cheese or lemongrass in it! My kids love her repertoire of hot dog casserole, rice krispy treats, jello concoctions and lemon bars. This year she brought out the Tater Tot Casserole – an American casserole staple of epic proportion. Who can resist the tasty combination of tater tots, hamburger, campbell’s cream soup, and cheddar cheese? Not the Wilsons, that’s for sure. There were absolutely no leftovers.
Tater Tot Casserole
- 2 pounds hamburger
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cans (undiluted) cream of mushroom, chicken, or celery soup
- 1 soup can milk
- 2-3 pounds tater tots, frozen
- lots of cheddar cheese, grated
- Brown and season the hamburger with the onions. Drain.
- Mix the soup and milk with the hamburger and place in a 9x13 baking dish.
- Top with the frozen tater tots. If you are a picky cook, stand the tots at attention like little soldiers. I do not do this.
- Bake for 1 hour at 350 degrees.
- Top with cheese the last 15 minutes of baking.