When watermelon salads first became trendy several years ago, I thought it was kind of weird. Then I decided to try one for myself and it has become my favorite go-to summer salad. You will love it – I promise you. I got the basic recipe from Sunset Magazine and it is exceedingly simple to make with just watermelon, feta, pinenuts, italian parsley and a very basic lemon vinaigrette. I use the blocks of feta cheese and I try to get the best I can afford at the moment. I have tried it without the pine nuts, but , honestly, it’s not as good. You don’t need many pine nuts, which is a good thing since they are super expensive, but I think you do need them. I get mine at Costco or I get the minimum amount (1/4 cup) needed from the bulk section at the grocery store. The great thing about this salad is that you can experiment – cilantro or mint are good substitutions for the parsley. I have not used any cheese except feta, but I bet those fresh little mozzarella balls would be good, too. Feel free to vary the amounts I specify, the original recipe if very vague!
Refreshingly Delicious Watermelon and Feta Salad
- 1 small or 1/4 to 1/2 a large watermelon, cut into chunks (I use enough to mostly fill my glass salad bowl)
- 7 oz. block feta cheese, chunked up (use more or less depending on your taste)
- 1/4 cup pine nuts, toasted
- big handful italian flat leaf parsley, chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh squeezed lemon juice
- 3/4 cups canola oil
- salt to taste, on the heavy side
- pepper to taste
- Toast the pine nuts in a dry small pan, stirring constantly until they are browned. They burn very easily and cost as much as gold, so keep stirring.
- Toss together watermelon, feta, pine nuts and parsley.
- Make a simple lemon vinaigrette of 1 part lemon to 3 parts oil. Salt heavily and pepper to taste.
- Toss in as much vinaigrette as you wish with watermelon mixture.
- Voila! You will love it.