Raspberries have finally ripened this week, so I picked up a flat at a u-pick farm to make a couple of pies. I adore raspberries. I think I could eat a pint of raspberries every day for the rest of my life and feel complete. Okay – slight exaggeration. But, I don’t feel that way about all of the other berries. I love them all, but I don’t adore them. Raspberries are special. Anyways, the pies were a hit. I made this raspberry cream pie and plain double crust raspberry pie and the votes were split between the two. I couldn’t pick a winner either -see if you can.
Raspberry Cream Pie
- 1 prebaked pie shell
- 2/3 cup/ 1 cup sugar
- 3 T./ 3 T. corn starch
- 1/2 t. salt
- 3 cups milk
- 3 egg yolks, slightly beaten
- 1 T. butter
- 1 1/2 t. vanilla
- 5 cups fresh raspberries
- 1-2 cups whipping cream
- Mix 2/3 cup sugar, 3 T. corn starch and salt in a sauce pan. Gradually pour in milk while stirring over medium heat. Mixture will thicken and cook one minute past this point. Remove from heat.
- Add some hot mixture into yolks and mix in. Mix yolk mixture back into sauce pan and cook for one more minute, stirring constantly.
- Add butter and vanilla.
- Pour into pie shell and cool.
- Mix raspberries, 1 cup sugar and 3 T.cornstarch over medium heat until mixture thickens. Cool and spread over cream filling. Chill for a couple of hours.
- Beat whipping cream with 1-2 T. sugar and 1 t. vanilla until stiff peaks form.
- Serve pie with whipped cream.