I needed to have a pasta salad for this year’s Fourth of July menu. I also wanted some seafood as we were out at the beach this year. I could have gone with the tried and true tuna macaroni salad, but this year I decided to take a walk on the wild side. I had some crab in the freezer, so I decided to go with some kind of crab pasta recipe. I found an intriguing one in my 1981 Cooking for Applause cookbook from the backers of the repertory theatre of St. Louis. It called for flat beer in the dressing, so I found a beer in the fridge, popped it open and poured some out to flatten it. The kids were out to a movie that night with the Lieutenant and it caused some consternation that night when they came home to an open beer bottle as I am not known to imbibe. It’s probably a really good thing that I don’t imbibe…..I was put under the inquisition the next morning and had to explain it was all for the salad. I actually think the beer imparted a really good taste to the salad. Anyways, here is my adaption of Crab Salade N’Orleans, flat beer and all.
Crab Salade N Orleans
- 2 pounds crab meat
- 1 pound shell pasta (small or medium), cooked per box
- 2 cups celery, chopped
- 1 cup green pepper, chopped
- 2 cups mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup flat beer
- 1 T. lemon juice
- 1/4 cup onion, minced
- 1 1/2 t.(more if you deem necessary) salt
- 1 T. curry powder
- 1/2 t. dry mustard
- dash fresh ground pepper
- Combine crab, pasta, celery and green pepper in a large bowl.
- Combine mayo, beer, lemon juice, onion, salt, curry, mustard and pepper.
- Add dressing to pasta mixture, tossing gently.
- Refrigerate for 3-4 hours.