I’ve been seeing these cute bottle cap necklaces around and thought they didn’t look too hard to make. Through some trial and error, I finally figured it out. I made my kids their own “Favorite Child” necklace. I made Coco’s teacher a “Favorite Teacher” necklace. I made the little girl’s basketball team I coach their own necklaces….The possibilities are endless. It is a very cute, fast crafty thing to do.
- 1″ bottle caps (I found fun colored ones online)
- 1″ circle punch (find online or at your local scrapbooking store)
- round 1.80 mm europunch (to punch to holes in the metal – find online or at your local scrapbooking store)
- #3 aluminum ball chain (I found online)
- #3 aluminum ball chain connectors (I ordered with the ball chain)
- 6 mm jump rings ( these connect the bottle cap to the chain -I got them in the jewelry findings section at Michaels)
- epoxy resin (I used envirotex lite pour-on high gloss found behind the counter at my local hardware store)
You also need an image. In Coco’s necklace above I just printed words in different fonts on fancy paper and punched them out with the 1″ circle punch. So you can make your own images, or there is a whole slew of super cute digital 1″ bottle cap images available for purchase on etsy at super good prices. Just search for “digital bottle cap images”.
Punch out however many images you need and glue (don’t use rubber cement) them in the bottle cap. Let dry.
Mix the epoxy per the manufacturer’s instructions in a well ventilated spot. You don’t need much. I usually do it in a disposable plastic cup & use coffee stir sticks to mix.
Pour the epoxy over the image to cover. You don’t need much and you need to leave room to punch a hole in the bottle cap. Let dry 24 hours.
With the euro punch, punch a hole where you want the jump ring attached and attach the jump ring.
Cut the ball chain to the length you need and attach the connector.
String the chain through the jump ring.
Voila! You now have a super cute bottle cap necklace (or key chain or magnet – the possibilities are endless!)