This pizza dough is so easy to make and so, so good. I usually double the recipe and freeze any leftovers.
I used to be afraid of making bread or pizza dough because I never had the patience to knead it well enough. Then, I discovered the kitchen aid mixer! It makes kneading dough so easy. Let me warn you now, as a woman who has personally killed two kitchen aid mixers…never mix bread dough at a speed higher than 2 and you don’t need to mix it as long as you would by hand. Thank heavens Kitchen Aid mixers have great warranties and service.
Practically Perfect Pizza Dough
- 1 package active dry yeast
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 4 cups flour
- 1 1/2 t. salt
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, stir yeast into 1 1/2 cups warm water. Let stand about 5 minutes.
- Add the oil, flour and salt. Mix with the dough hook on speed 1 to blend. Then mix on speed 2 until dough is very smooth and elastic, 8 to 10 minutes. Dough will still feel tacky.
- At this point,if you want to make this ahead of time, you can refrigerate at least 3 hours and up to 2 days. Dough will double in size and flavor will develop as it stands.
- Cover and let rise at room temperature until doubled in bulk - about 1 1/2 hours.
- Punch down dough and let rise again until doubled - 30 to 45 minutes.
- Turn dough onto a floured work surface and cut into 6 equal portions. For each pizza, lay a sheet of parchment on work surface and flatten dough portions with well oiled hand into 9 to 10 inch rounds. Let dough stand until puffy , about 15 minutes.
- Spread about 2 T. of pizza sauce to top and the top with your favorite toppings.
- Fit as many parchments with pizza as you can on top of a large baking sheet.
- Bake at 450 degrees for 14 -16 minutes.