So, along with the karaage I made yesterday, I also made Harumi’s Japanese coleslaw. It was simple and easy – just the way I like it! Please note, the recipe serves 4, so of course I doubled it. Also, I just used the precut bag of cabbage found in the salad section.
- 10 oz. green cabbage, shredded
- half of a small onion, grated
- 1 t. vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup rice vinegar, unseasoned
- 1-2 t. sugar
- to taste light soy sauce
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 T. toasted sesame seeds
- I skipped this step, but Harumi says if you want the cabbage & onion super crisp to soak them in iced water for 2-3 minutes, drain well, and store in a container in the fridge for 30 minutes.
- Add the oil, vinegar, sugar and light soy in this order, mixing in each ingredient quickly. I must admit that I mixed these ingredients together in a bowl and then added them -it\'s hard to get rid of my western ways....
- Season with salt and pepper, and sprinkle with sesame seeds.