Have you ever had one of those days where you look at the clock and it reads 4:45 and you realize you are the adult in charge of dinner and you haven’t even given it a thought. I happen to have those days a lot and today was one of them. Luckily, yesterday was the girls high school tennis team barbeque and I was in charge of hot dogs, so I came home with 33 leftover hot dogs. I remembered a quick, easy, tasty, not-so-healthy recipe my friend Diane likes to make – hot dog casserole . Now, I didn’t have any fresh leftover mashed potatoes in the fridge or even any potatoes. However, please don’t let anyone know…..but, desperate times call for desperate measures….I did have fake mashed potatoes in a box. Those, along with my trusty tillamook cheddar cheese were all that were required for this haphazard meal. Please don’t tell Ina about this meal.
Hungry Kids Hotdog Casserole
- 6-8 cups leftover mashed potatoes, seasoned how you like
- OR 12-15 servings instant mashed potatoes made up
- 10-12 hotdogs, boiled
- a lot of cheddar cheese, grated
- Pam a 9x12 baking dish.
- Spread mashed potatoes in bottom.
- Slice cooked hotdogs in half in the long direction. Arrange artistically on top of the mashed potatoes.
- Grate enough cheddar cheese to spread a thick layer over the top of the hot dogs.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 20-30 minutes.