Okay, I have to be honest here – I make a darn good potato salad. My Mom used to make the best potato salad until she went over to the dark side- she started using light mayonnaise. I’m sorry, light mayonnaise and potato salad just do not mix. If you are going to do a potato salad, you just need to do it right. Calories be damned!
My secret is a very high egg to potato ratio. If I’m making an average size salad my ratio can be as high as 1 egg:1potato, if I’m making a lot (like the following recipe) I take it down to .75 egg:1 potato. The following recipe makes enough to feed the Luxembourg army or my family for two days. Warning – wait a month or so after ingesting this potato salad before getting your cholesterol checked!
Heart Stopping Potato Salad
- 20 Yukon Gold potatoes, boiled and peeled and cut into small chunks
- 15 eggs, hard boiled and sliced (save one or two for the top)
- 1/2 -1 onion (preferrably Walla Walla Sweet), chopped
- 6-8 stalks celery, chopped
- 2 cups best foods mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup vinegar
- 1 T. mustard
- 2 T. sugar
- Mix potatoes, onion and celery together in large bowl.
- Mix mayonnaise, vinegar, mustard and sugar together and add to potatoes gently.
- Add eggs to mixture.
- Top the salad with one or two nicely sliced eggs.
- Sprinkle with paprika if you want some zingy color.