Darrington Rhubarb Cream Pie was the other pie in my battle of the Rhubarb Custard Pies. It’s a hearty pie with a thick layer of custard on the bottom, a much more generous pie than the 1941 Lutheran Ladies Pie plus it has almond extract in it for an exotic touch. I love almond extract. It was Coco’s favorite and I enjoyed it a lot, too. I didn’t quite have enough rhubarb, so I supplemented with a cup of strawberries…
Darrington Rhubarb Cream Pie
- 4 Cups rhubarb, sliced and blanched
- 5 T. flour
- 1 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/8 t. salt
- 3 eggs, divide whites and yolks
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 t. almond extract
- 1 unbaked pie shell
- Put rhubarb in pie shell.
- In bowl, combine the flour, sugar and salt. Add egg yolks, milk and almond extract whisking until thoroughly combined.
- Pour over rhubarb and bake at 400 degrees for 10 minutes. Reduce temperature to 375 degrees and bake another 45 minutes or until rhubarb is cooked.
- Make a meringue using the 3 egg whites and 6 T. of sugar. Spread over pie and brown in the oven.