This is a dish I now make at all major holidays – Mr. D. can’t get enough of it. It comes to us courtesy of my beloved Ina and serves 8.
Creamed Spinach Ala Ina
- 4 T. butter
- 4 cups onions, chopped (2 large)
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1/4 t. nutmeg
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 2 cups milk
- around 3 pounds (5-10 oz. packages) frozen chopped spinach, defrosted and drained
- 1 cup parmesan cheese, freshly grated
- 1 T. kosher salt
- 1/2 t. pepper
- 1/2 cup gruyere cheese, grated
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees.
- Saute the onions in the butter over medium heat in a large heavy bottomed saute pan until translucent (about 15 minutes).
- Add the flour and the nutmeg and cook, stirring, for 2 more minutes. Add the cream and milk and cook until thickened.
- Add the spinach to the sauce. Add 1/2 cup of the parmesan cheese and mix well. Season to taste with the salt and pepper.
- Transfer the spinach to a baking dish and sprinkle with the remaining parmesan and the gruyere. Bake for 20 minutes until hot and bubbly.