This is my friend Paige’s recipe, which I think came from her sister, Wendy, who is renowned for her pies. This is my current favorite pie crust recipe.
Pie Crust of Paige
- 4 cups flour
- 1 1/2 to 1 3/4 cup crisco
- 1 t. salt
- 1 t. baking powder
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup cold water
- 1-2 t. apple cider vinegar (but you could use white)
- Mix together flour, salt and baking powder.
- In a bowl, mix together egg, cold water and vinegar.
- Add shortening to the flour mixture and mix with hands or pastry blender until fine and crumbly, but do not overwork. I use closer to 1 1/2 cups of shortening, but depending on your kitchen, climate, etc. you may need more.
- Add egg mixture and work with hands or pastry blender until it forms a ball but do not overwork the dough.
- Makes enough for 2 pies.